As many of you know, part of the battle for many startups is procuring funding to take that next great tech innovation from the drawing board to production. In many cases that means that startup owners are searching for angel investors or venture capitalists to help get their projects off the ground. In prior coverage, we’ve discussed the two-tiered problem of actually connecting with potential investors and then convincing said investors to provide funding.
While Black Web 2.0 has covered the problem, we’ve also been dedicated to writing articles that provide resources that our readers can utilize can take their ideas to the next level. Semantic Seed is one such resource. From January 28-30, Semantic Seed will be staging three events in San Jose, Los Angeles, and Miami. Dubbed Mobile Start Up Camp, the events are for entrepreneurs ready to take their startups to the next level. During the camp, entrepreneurs are given a chance to pitch their ideas and develop it as far as possible over a three day period. At the end of the three days, entrants then present their fleshed out packages to a room of peers, press and judges. Winners of the camp can win a number of prizes including an instant spot as a finalist for TechStars 2011 and there’s always the possibility to obtain funding.
The judges panel in each city is comprised of power players in the tech realm as well as the venture capitalist arena including Andy Bartley of the Halo Fund/Angel Forum and Hamet Wyatt from True Ventures. In addition Jay Elliot, a former early Apple Executive, and author of “The Steve Jobs Way” will be one of the speakers featured during the three day event.
If you’re in one of these cities and are serious about securing funding for your startup, Mobile Start Up Camp is a great place to start looking for funding and getting your idea out there. As an extra incentive, Semantic Seed is offering Black Web 2.0 readers a 20% discount. Simply visit www.startupcamper.com and enter the code BLACKWEB. And if you’re not able to hop a flight to any of the three cities, never fear, Semantic Seed will be hosting camps in Chicago, New York, Rio, Mumbai, Austin and Jordan. In the meantime, here are seven additional reasons why you should check out Mobile Start Up Camp.
- Tropo- If you use the Tropo API and win in any city, you get $500 and an IPad for every team member (up to 5 members)
- Adobe Software- Has committed to give away a copy CS5 or Flex Pro for one team per city (that’s a $599 MSRP value)
- Semantic Seed Co Working Grant- Semantic Seed will offer the winning San Jose team 3 co working seats for 3 months (that’s a $1500 value).
- Prometheus Springs- Has agreed to provide a steady flow of healthy drinks for the weekend!
- Four Points- Sponsored Hotel room 1 block from Semantic Seed for participants in San Jose who work non stop, and need a shower to refresh
- Factual- Will award every member of a winning team an IPad if they build a winning app on the Factual API (that’s a $599 MSRP value per winner)
- Ansca Mobile- Will award every member of a winning team an IPad if they build a winning app using the Corona Platform (that’s a $599 MSRP value per winner)