M. Jack fans your time is now. According to MichaelJackson.com, the King of Pop’s long-awaited new video game is available for pre-order. Titled “Michael Jackson The Experience.” the game will feature a combination of dancing and singing, sort of like a Dance Dance Revolution/Singstar Karoake mashup. Created by Ubisoft, the developer behind the worldwide hit series Assassin’s Creed, this latest game will have players stepping into the iconic shoes of “The Gloved One”, performing some of his biggest hits including “Billie Jean”, “Beat It”, and “Earth Song”.
While the game will appear on all next-gen consoles (Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation, and Microsoft Xbox), if you want a truly interactive Michael Jackson experience, you might want to go with the Xbox Kinect version. That’s right, Microsoft has found a way to get gamers skeptical of the “me-too” stunt Sony and Microsoft has pulled with the introduction of motion controllers, to pony up some cold-hard cash for the Kinect add-on. The Kinect version of the game has some interesting interactive features that if properly executed could potentially make Michael Jackson The Experience a big seller with massive replay appeal. The game is set to release sometime in November, just in time for the holiday shopping melee.
The features include:
- Single player gameplay, multiplayer dance challenges, dance crew performances and jump-in/jump-out features make The Experience the ultimate party game.
- A crew of expert backup dancers and Michael’s Dance School help take your performance to the next level – great for beginners and experienced performers.
- Next gen technology allows players to interact with the music in new and amazing ways, letting them star in their own Michael Jackson video.
- Players have the option to sing along to their favorite tracks while simultaneously showing off their dance moves, providing the ultimate pop star experience.
- Kinect version leverages proprietary Player Projection technology that puts their image in the game.
If that isn’t enough MJ video game goodness for you, Jackson’s estate has also inked a deal with SEE Virtual Worlds for Planet Michael, a 3D computer environment that will allow players visit Jackson’s Neverland Ranch as well as explore conceptual continents created around the artist’s music and life. According to USA Today, the game is slated to release sometime next year and will be free to download. Players will be able to create custom avatars and purchase virtual items.
“We put a focus on something that will truly allow fans to immerse themselves in a Michael Jackson-like universe or music-video-like world and interact with each other and then go on adventures and do gameplay stuff and socialize,” says Josh Gordon of developer SEE Virtual Worlds.
Before Jackson’s untimely passing, he was pursuing a comeback. That comeback included creating games and interactive experiences. Michael Jackson was always ahead of the curve, let’s hope that these games can do the man known as The King of Pop some justice.
Will you be playing either of Michael’s new games? Share your thoughts in the comments sectionCategory: Featured, Gaming | Tags: Assassin's Creed, Dance Dance Revolution, kinect, Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson The Experience, Planet Michael, PlayStation, SEE Virtual Worlds, Singstar Karoake, ubisoft, video game, wii, xbox