black media

5 Webcomics Created by African Americans

The opening of the massive Comic-con convention last week provided days of comic book related news coverage.  However, few of the images from that event were of African Americans.  The dearth of African American perspectives in mainstream comic books inspired many black artists to create webcomics.  Webcomics are online sites that present a story in comic book form.  The success of Boondocks and the current global recession were motivators for many of these artists to try their hand at starting an online webcomic business.  These five webcomics present a sample of African American entrepreneurs who are presenting a different perspective on the web.

A Pug Named Fender

The Lesson

Created by Houston based artist Fave, A Pug Named Fender chronicles the adventures of a pug as he enjoys the thrills of barbecue, music, technology, and other essentials that make life worth living.  This recently launched webcomic has already featured guest appearances by soul music artists like Questlove.  New episodes of A Pug Named Fender are posted every Tuesday and Thursday.

JOE!

#87. – Facebook Saga (Part 3)

Michelle Billingsly created JOE! to capture the life the title character, a rambunctious 10 year old.  This webcomic doesn’t just focus on Joe and has created a cast with well developed characters.  There is no regular update schedule, but new strips come out about twice a month.

Addanac City

AC Classic~ We’re Gonna Have To Let You Go

George Ford publishes Addanac City which depicts the shenanigans of Hank Addanac. It’s an interesting mix of Calvin and Hobbes and Phineas and Ferb.  Ford keeps a rigorous schedule of publishing seven comics a week that goes back to August 2008.  The cast is very diverse and both the writing and art show a high degree of quality.

Redux Deluxe

Introductions

Charles Arrington’s Redux Deluxe covers the adventures of three boys named CJ, Chris, and Rob as they try to retrieve a lost basketball from a neighborhood girl named Angela.  Containing many references to comic book and video game culture, new episodes of Redux Deluxe come out twice a week.

Company Man

image

Phoenix artist Frank Jordan publishes a new Company Man strip five days a week.  I offers a humorous look at the lives of a diverse cast of characters.  The content of the humor make it a webcomic for mature readers.

The artists behind these five webcomics are using new media to present the diverse perspectives of African Americans through the comic art form.  Both the comic book and webcomic industries tend to be representative of white culture, and these webcomics offer a refreshing dose of color commentary.

Comments

@Tystarr: Thanks for suggesting Twisted Comix. Unfortunately, I was unfamiliar with your webcomic until you mentioned it. However, one reason I wrote this post was to hear from other African American webcomic creators. I will definitely check out your strip.

Tystarr says:

Oops I posted wrong….
Lol wow some of my fav comics are up there!

But yeah… Twisted Comix is a great strip too.

Woah woah woah, What about Twisted Comix? http://www.Twistedcomix.com

@Amani: Thank you! I really appreciate that!

@Charles: You're very welcome. I hope that other African Americans use the web to present their art to the world and add their voices to the public forum of the internet. Not only that, but all of you have the opportunity to become successful entrepreneurs by selling ads, merchandise, and doing public speaking.

Charles says:

Anjuan, thanks for the shout out of my webcomic, Redux Deluxe. It means alot to me, probably more than you ever know. I was concerned that my webcomic was getting far too few views and not too many were checking my site out, so its beyond great that someone has actually taken the time out to read my comic and suggest it to others as well.

And these are a great selection of webcomics by African Americans on the web. Most of them I'm already familiar with. We definitely need more webcomics from other African Americans and other minority cultures as well in general.

Amani says:

Great article. I need more color in my comics so I am going to subscribe to all five of these. I love the different topic you wrote about. Nice work.

@Fave: Absolutely! Webcomics are like the “funnies” in newspapers that many people still use to get a quick chuckle before starting their day (or, as you said, at some point in their day).

@George: You're welcome! I definitely hope that more people appreciate the great work that you guys are doing in this online artform!

@Michelle: You are very welcome! I think what you are doing with your webcomic is fantastic! You made the research I did looking for artists to feature very enjoyable!

@Brenda: I'm glad to have the opportunity to hopefully give Michelle a little more shine!

@Frank: You're welcome! I'm glad that you have some more webcomics to check out, and I know that others will check out yours!

Frank Jordan says:

Thanks for including Company Man with these awesome artists Anjuan! I really appreciate it. Thanks for turning me on to Joe! and Redux Deluxe, as I'll be checking those out soon.

Brenda Lawrence says:

Thank you so much for including my beautiful talented Niece Michelle Billingsley. We are so very proud of her and her talent. We are JOE FANS FOR LIFE. Again, we thank you for representing for all of these wonderful artists.

Awesome article! I absolutely appreciate being one of the 5 to be recognized. This means more to me than you would ever know!

Me along with the cast of “Joe!”, thank you, Anjuan!

George says:

Thanks for including Addanac City and I in your article. I'm familiar with a lot of these guys (and gal) and it's an honor and pleasure to be included in their company.

Hopefully, with spotlights like the one you have shone upon us, African-American artists and cartoonists will get more notice and have the world drop by our sites to appreciate our hard-working endeavors.

favecast says:

Fantastic post on AA webcomic creators. I appreciate the love you showed to APNF and, while I had most of these on my radar, I now have (Redux Deluxe) to check out as well.

What's great about these webcomics is their ability to entertain (and perhaps) inspire without being overly intrusive or demanding on a reader's time schedule. It's a quick dose of humor that we all need at some point during the day.

@Fredric: I'm glad you liked it! I hope that everyone supports these and other webcomics created by African Americans. We need to honor our artists!

@Latoicha: No, I had not heard of Onyxcon. I'll be travelling on the 13th and 14th, but I will try to make it next year!

Lgivens says:

Great post! Have you heard of Onyxcon? Onyxcon is a comic book and pop culture convention specifically for African-Americans. Here is a link: http://www.onyxcon.com. It is taking place in Atlanta, August 13 and 14th. You should check it out!

awesome find! i already subscribe to a pug named fender. thanks for the others!