MTV’s Video Music Awards (VMAs) show has embraced the power of social media like never before. The network teamed up with social media monitoring company, Radian6 and technology and design firm, Stamen, to bring a highly interactive experience to tonight’s VMAs, allowing fans to discuss the show in real time.
For the first time in VMA history there will be a “Twitter Visualization” tool which will aggregate the most popular topics fans are tweeting about. Radian6 has developed technology that will track tweets mentioning VMA performers, hosts, and attendees, appearing in a visual interactive application on MTV.com. As fans tweet more about a specific celebrity, their image on the visual application will expand. Radian6 CEO Marcel Lebrun said, “We’re thrilled to work with MTV, Twitter, and Stamen to deliver real-time Twitter dialogue to the VMAs and create an awesome experience for the show’s audience – both live and online.”
MTV.com will be loaded with interactive features for viewers to participate in during tonight’s show. A live “Watch and Discuss” video feed of the show will be displayed on the website accompanied by a Facebook “Live Stream Box” and a Twitter “Headlines” module where users can update their social networks directly from MTV.com.
Additional digital VMA programming highlights include:
* A VMA Red Carpet Report fashion interview show hosted by solo artist, Adrienne Bailon, which will post continuously throughout the show on MTV.com.
* A “New Moon” Trailer Countdown Widget created by the MTV News team for diehard Twilight fans eagerly awaiting a first look at the highly anticipated second movie in the Twilight series airing live during the VMA’s. The trailer will also be available on MTV.com, along with an early listen to Death Cab for Cutie’s “New Moon” song off the upcoming soundtrack.
* A MTV News coverage “clickable map”: This year’s VMA action comes from all over New York, so MTVNews.com has built a clickable map using the Google Map interface that will display all of its VMA articles, blogs, photos and video by location.
* Photo flipbooks capturing red carpet fashion, show highlights and behind the scenes moments going up continuously through the show and well after the show into the wee hours of Monday morning.
* User Generated Content search for teen protege, Justin Bierber’s biggest fan on Your.MTV.com. Participants in the “Justin’s Biggest Fan contest” need to upload a video explanation of why they’re his biggest fan and Justin will select his favorite giving a shout out from the MTV News VMA Pre-Show carpet.
The “2009 MTV Video Music Awards” airs live tonight at 8pm ET/PT.