Celeb 2.0

Maia Campbell Update: She’s in Treatment #maiastruth

First of all, thank you for your support and kindness in regard to Maia (My-ee-ah) Campbell. Last night I received a wonderful email from a friend of her late mother, Bebe Moore Campbell. Nancy Carter, executive director of NAMI Urban Los Angeles (NAMI Urban Los Angeles (NULA) is the urban affiliate of NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness), thanking BlackWeb20.com for the coverage and the compassion shown towards Maia. Nancy alerted me to my error and explained that Maia has been diagnosed with bi-polar/manic depression. And because substance abuse is involved she has co-occurring disorder, which has symptoms similar to schizophrenia.

In short, Maia is mentally ill and has a substance abuse problem.

Nancy returned my phone call to her and shared some important and good news: Maia is in treatment. And she said that there is hope for Maia’s recovery but the prayers of “50,000,000” people can make the difference, because Maia doesn’t like to stay in treatment, and her treatment involves drug withdrawal as well as treatment for her disorders.

Nancy was awestruck by the wonderful comments left on our site and by the general outpouring of support. She asked me to tell you that Maia’s disorders are exasperated and sent out of control by substance abuse. Pre-existing and early onset bi-polar, clinical depression and schizophrenia can be sent out of control by marijuana (the worst culprit), alcohol and of course, synthetic and street drugs.

Maintain your hope for Maia’s recovery. Nancy said, “She can use her beauty, talent, and celebrity for the good of others.”

Visit NAMI Urban LA‘s site to view a tribute video to Bebe Moore Campbell, co-founder of the organization.

Email Maia well-wishes to maiastruth (at) blackweb20.com

Comments

Lightning1 says:

I am glad that Mia is getting the assistance she needs. Such a gorgeous, & talented individual
whom deserves so much more. The grief of losing one close to you is unbearable, & crushing,
affecting one emotionally & physically.
I pray that she continues getting better, with the support of those that are concerned about
her wellbeing!

Supporter says:

Maia, I just recently viewed the video on you tube and hate to see that our own Black men would exploit their own BEAUTIFUL Black sister, instead of helping her. Maia I truly hope and pray that you recover from your treatment and continue to live a prosperous life in a positive direction that you would like to go. I will continue to pray for you in your recovery and well being. Im sure all of your fans and I will be waiting on your return to the big screen and we are all know that you still got that talent along with that beautiful face, girlfriend. Take care of yourself. πŸ™‚

armandovega01 says:

Maia, please get well! You are beautiful, and when I see some of your old work I know you are beautiful on the inside as well.

Maia Campbell, please get better! You must miss your mother terribly, I am so sorry! She sounds like an amazing woman. Your current breakdown makes me so sad…It hurts to see you like this Maia! Please get better, and find out which direction you wish to take your life in now. I know your mother still loves you greatly from Heaven!

J.Canfield says:

Maia is clearly a beautiful and talented woman that is a cut above her recent environment (as in the exploited video). She did not deserve the recent loss of her mother who was another great American artist. Gifted Americans in her shoes really need to be safeguarded from the many non-talented posers in life, due to the fact that distortion of true beauty is the only thing that happens when you rub shit on top of gold.
You are gold Maia. Don't let people shit on you trying to ruin what you are, and they only can only wish to be.

Mike says:

Ms. Maia Campbell I hope all is well as can be expected with U! My prayers go out to U & Ur family in this time of recovery. I know that GOD will make a way for U as he does for many of his children! Just remember, its not how U start but it's how U finish!!!! May GOD bless U, and my HE smile upon U. Much Luv Ms. Maia πŸ™‚

jordanbergpowers says:

Our prayers and well wishes are with her. Thanks for the positive and constructive coverage of her struggle.

Yolanda says:

This is such wonderful news. Thank God Maia is in treatment. I have a sister that's bipolar and she manages very well with medication. There is hope Maia. God is always on time.

Yolanda says:

Gwen Gibson says:

I would like to thank Nancy Carter for her long hand stretch to help such a beautiful person like Maia Campbell. Our society especially and as well as other need to stop spreading negative and defamation of someone character. If we don’t have the facts about someone well being, then when shouldn’t judge that person. I’m glad that the person acknowledges the incorrect information that she had either received or was told about Maia. We get so caught up in other people’s closet and forgetting that we all have someone in our family that have some type of disorder and know someone who have dealt with a unfortunate mishap. We as a hold should start standing up for positive people who is doing well by us and start supporting them. Stop the naysayers and that would make a big difference. Correct the rumors before they get out of hand. This is the same problem we hand with someone whom I truly miss; Michael Jackson” at one point we start wondering if he is an “AA” which means one of us. I just think that it’s a sad situation for us to carry like this. We always said that the white man is bringing us down. We are bringing one another down with our own stupidity. Maia, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous says:

I’m praying for you Maia, my heart goes out to you and your family. I was raised with a family of drug additions. I know that you can make it. I didn’t follow down that path but I know how it feels as a child growing up dealing with it. You can do it boo! Stay strong and stay encourage!

Kisha Campbell says:

Hopefully this will get to Maia, thirteen years ago I named my daughter after Maia Campbell. I pronounce my daughters name (My-ah). I still to this day love that name. Maia I’m praying for you. The TV world still longs for that beautiful individual. You can face the world no matter. The bible says in Mark 9:23 Message bible, Jesus said, “If? There are no ‘ifs’ among belivers. Anything can happen. I know that God will see you through.

Anonymous says:

I am SOOOO happy to hear that she is recovering so wonderfully. Mental health is such a taboo topic in the African Ammerican community so there ae so many who suffer the same way that Maia has. I hated to see people ridiculing her and her condition instead of trying to help her. She is in my prayres that she will come out of recovery a new woman with a new outlook on life.

Guest says:

I am praying for her, that she finds real love in God and Christ.
Also, I pray for her to find the strength to change the people that surround her from hindering people to people of help and compassion.

My heart goes out to her, her family and her REAL friends. Hope things get better and stay strong. Blessings

Robin Caldwell says:

I received that information from someone who works with the mentally ill and their families. And that person also started the organization mentioned above with Bebe Moore Campbell. I’ve read the arguments that state that marijuana makes coping w/ bipolar better. And I’ve read the studies that state that while it is a soft drug it can make the problem worse. I hope to never find out.

sharon says:

I am truly saddened by the news regarding Ms. Campbell. I will continue to keep her in my prayers and hope that she has a successful reccovery. My heart is with her family as well. I wish there were more that I could say or do. She’s such a beautiful young woman, my heart aches for her.

Guest says:

GOD IS AWSOME AND HER MOTHER IS ONE OF THE ANGELS O:-)

Guest says:

My heart goes out to Maia and her family. I would like to correct your comment about marijuana. Its simply false, but otherwise its pretty good writing.

Guest says:

Maia…You are not alone sweetheart…there are so many people who support you and want only the best for you. You have fans in places you may not even know about. Please dig deep, find your inner peace, and more importantly know that this is not what you are or who you are. God has given you extraordinary gifts and talents and they are meant for you to share with the world. Even with this God will get the glory because alot of women who are suffering from these symptoms and the pain in your heart due to the lost of your mother, need to see that they too can overcome these hard trials. You are going to make it through this. My prayers are with you babes, I wish you all the best. ONE!!

Guest says:

i pray that she will get better soon and than will be able to inspire others
my heart goes out to her and so glad that she is getting the help she needs

Guest says:

I just want to send my prayers to her, because we all have to deal with issues like that. God is watching over you, and you might not believe it right now, but in the long run you will see the Grace that he has over your life. GOD BLESS YOU

Maia,

We hope this email reaches you in really good spirits! We want you to know that we and our families are praying for your speedy recovery!

This is from Crystal…1 Peter 5:7″casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

This is from Karen….Psalm 51:10 (Whole Chapter)”Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.”

This is from me (Thea)….Matthew 6:33 (Whole Chapter)
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you

Although we dont know you personally, we are deeply concern about your recovery. Stay focused, Don’t be hard on yourself, and never give up!!!!

Thea A. Camara
“Live, Love, & Laugh”

Guest says:

I am so excited. God is great and through his son Jesus Christ, ANYTHING is possible. Maia is healed in His name. No one else can use her downfall as some stupid immature entertainment. And if you were air are entertained or if you are laughing at other people’s struggles, additiction, illnesses, etc. you need help just as must at those you are laughing at. Maia, me and my husband are praying for you. You are a conqueror and yesterday, and even 5 minutes ago, is the past. God is concerned with our right now and our tomorrow. He forgives And restores. If anyone tries to use your past to define or degrade you, it is not of God, who always has the last word. Victory!!!!!

dannielle says:

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

dannielle says:

I feel very sorry for maia drug addiction is very hard to overcome,I too have been addicted to drugs for many years,it’s an on going battle.anything can trigger you to use again,but with prayer and support from family and friends,and a strong will to wanna quit it’s possible to get clean if you really want it.so keep your head up maia no matter how many times you fall just keep on trying.and you will succeed.lol

Guest says:

I am so glad she’s in treatment, and her video has been removed thank god. i will continue to pray for her and others who find this as entertainment.

Guest says:

I am soooo happy to hear she is in treatment! As the sibling of person with a mental illness who later commited suicide, I pray she knows that many people care for her and are praying for her full recovery and that time will be a testimony to others. I pray that she will be encircled form this day forward to keep her on the right path. Mental illness takes a community of people to support her in her continual recovery! Please let her see that the world is in her corner and not against her. I pray that those that tried to use her will see the err n their ways and be removed as stumbling blocks in her life from this day forward, let no weapon formed against her prosper from this day forward!

Guest says:

Give thanks for her family steppin up to help her. Make sure she helps others who deal with the same issues but does not have access to treatment. Love always from some who can identify.

Guest says:

This is really sad to hear. May God provide her with the strength and guidance to overcome.

Sister in Christ says:

I love you and God loves you more, please take care of yourself because we (your fans) don’t want to loose you in any way destructive. Stay prayed up, he has not forsaken you. πŸ™‚

Guest says:

I am horrified that the public uses a person’s pain for humor! I am saddened that Ms. Campbell’s personal issues have been made so public but hopeful that she is in treatment. I am praying for her spirit and health. I truly wish her the best and know that with God ALL things are possible, for He is in the miracle making business!

Melody Perry says:

God bless and keep you Maia and family. My prayers and those of my church family and countless other people are with you….

Maia,
I met you during my internship at Didi Hirsch basically the only black dude there lol. People often mention your beauty but your intelligence eclipses that so I wrote the Director of Didi Hirsch when I saw that video online and was greatly affected, and within that week its reported that your are in treatment! God is at work, please believe it. I told her to get them to contact someone to pull it off that site. I would like to think my thoughts helped it happen but it all happened within a week so just know that I will maintain that positive energy and you will still have all that is yours. God bless you on your journey and know that thorough your actions others will be healed and forever in your debt k_chambers09@yahoo.com

Guest says:

i made a group on facebook to pray for maia. i am soooo glad someone found her and is trying to get her help. feel free to join. it is called A Prayer for Maia Campbell.

Guest says:

She is in my prayers as is all those suffering from this debiliating disease

Guest says:

To God Be The Glory!!!! I pray that she has a successful treatment and she find God through her process. Her life is a testimony to many women all over the world!!! May God’s love shine through Maia!!

Lisa Montgomery says:

Thank you Robin for the update. I am very Worried about Maia but God will help her and my Prayers are with her.

Guest says:

We all are praying for Ms. Campbell and her full and blessed recovery. She is a beauty black Queen and she deserves to be held high in prayer and given mercy…she is ill and the devil meant that video for evil…thank GOD we serve HIM ALMIGHTY!!!! I praise HIM for her recovery and return to the small and big screen!!!!

Guest says:

When I saw the video clips and a few unflattering pictures of her, I actually starting crying and praying. I prayed VERY HARD for Maia and I asked others on Facebook to pray for her as well. Thank God our prayers are being answered. We love you Maia!!! We really do.

Robin Caldwell says:

Hey Darrell! Fancy meeting you here. I’m grateful that our readers are interested in good news. Extremely grateful.

Darrell in Baltimore says:

I will pray for her Robin. Hey aren’t you happy to see that your readers are interested in all kinds of news! πŸ˜‰

Guest says:

I am happy to hear that there is an explanation for her recent behavior. I work with mentally ill adults in the community, so I know how Ms. Campbell behavior looked when she was in that state. I pray that Ms. Campbell completes and understand the purpose of the treatment. Please keep us posted. πŸ™

Guest says:

I m glad maia is getting help. I hope to see her in movies again. She is a very talented individual ! 😎

Guest says:

She is in my prayers. In God all things are possible.

Guest says:

I’m so glad she’s getting the help she needed, I hated to see her in that state! πŸ™‚

Guest says:

I am praying for you you Maia..god belss

crystal says:

I am so happy to hear that Maia’s getting help.I watched the video and said there was something off with her mental.I was sadden and I actually prayed for her,people thought it was funny ha!ha! but we all know what’s it’s like to have a family member who slightly “off”. I truly wish her the best and no matter how you are looked at by your past GOD always has a future for you.Another thing they talked about Jesus so baby keep your head up do what has to be done for you.

Bridgette Outten says:

Thank you for that clarification. I was shocked and saddened by the videos that emerged on the Web. It’s great to know that Ms. Campbell is getting the help she needs. Please keep us posted.

Guest says:

I went to Spelman with Maia. She is as sweet as she is beautiful. My prayers are with her.

Guest says:

Its so good to hear that someone went to her aid. It was a very worrisome situation. It was what alot of people were praying for. I wish and pray Maia and her family all the best.

seedoflife says:

What the enemy meant for evil, God meant for good!

I’m thankful for this news since the images were the most disturbing that I have seen anywhere including war zones.

I pray that Maia will see the tunnel for her good versus anything less.

Praise God!

😎

ListenToLeon says:

I’m really glad she’s getting treatment, and I’ll continue to pray for her.

Guest says:

my mother brought my attention to maia’s story as she stated it broke her heart to see someone’s daughter in that plight. and as an aspiring black actress and someone who grew up watching the beautiful young woman, it broke mine as well. i am praying for maia and have faith with a strong support team she will rise. God bless you Maia. All is well πŸ™‚

Guest says:

GOD is good and prayer definitely works!!!

I’m a 25 year old woman and when I was younger I LOVED in the house not only for my boo LL but for my girl Maia she was always so pretty, articulate, and funny. I can honestly say I admired her and thought wow I want to be like her!

I was so saddened and concerned with that video of her and those disgusting poor excuses for men who were acting as animals (dirty bastards) they’ll get theirs. But anyway I’m glad and extremely relieved she’s in treatment and I pray things will get better for her.

O:-)

MEMPHIS,TENN says:

THEY USE THIS VIDEO TO SHY HER ,GOD USE IT TO HELP HER .PLEASEEEEEE STAY MAIA. I TOO HAVE FAMILY IN THAT STATE OF MIND!!!!!!!

Peace,

Last week when those wicked Worldstar videos were posted on the Internet, I was inspired to write a bit about what I witnessed. I don’t have a blog, so I had several friends link it to their sites. I’m so moved to read that Ms. Campbell has decided to go forward with the treatment. And while her celebrity status does highlight the gravity of her situation, my empathy was born of seeing a young black woman (from my own backyard no less) tumble further than anyone should have to. Anyway, forgive my ramblings. Here’s the link to my piece:

Thanks for the news on this, Ms. Caldwell.

In Strength,

D.L. Chandler

Guest says:

I am so happy to hear that Maia Campbell has decided to go to treatment. I will keep her and her daughter in my prayers. I pray that she receives the treatment and counseling that she needs for her mental illnesses and drug addiction. Many Blessings

Dea Maia,

My prayers go out to you daily. Know that GOD loves you sooooo much and has sent angels to be encamped all around you to keep you in everyone of your ways. We love you and we see you better, healthy, and prosporous. You are beautiful inside and out. You have touched many lives who want to see you happy and well. Stay strong Maia. With Gods help you can overcome all things. All you have to do is just BELIEVE. Remember the world has NO AUTHORITY over your life. It can only obey you and reflect what it is the you project. See what God sees Maia and the rest will work it self out. God Bless and keep Maia Campbell……Amen

Faith of Acts of Faith Blog says:

I hope that she STAYS in treatment and finally has some peace. I don’t ever want another video to surface like the one that did last week. It’s really up to her now as that outpouring of sympathy was hopefully a wake up call for her to get her life in order.

iluvblackwomen says:

I know that @selfesteemqueen is on a 20Day Fast for Maia and this is only Day 3 and the results are amazing. This is why i love Twitter ppl like Angela B , Robin, @kolaBoof all coming 2gether

Guest says:

so good to hear. someone sent me some awful clips of her being exploited that disturbed me deeply. it’s awful that people actually found that funny. prayers are with maia.

Guest says:

What GREAT news! I am SO glad to hear that Maia’s receiving the help she needs. I was heartbroken to see the video of her. It was hard for me to see such a beautiful, talented woman being destroyed by her situation. I have first hand experience with bipolar disorder as my husband’s mother suffers from the illness. I know all too well how exhausting it is for the person dealing with the illness as well as for the family members involved. I will continue to pray for Maia’s recovery and well-being. She has so much to offer the world and I hope that we get to see her use her God-given talents and abilities in a positive and enlightening way. Good luck to you Maia and God Bless you!!!

Guest says:

Thank you for ths update, it is good to know the sistah is getting what she needs

Guest says:

i am realy saddened by what i saw and realy wonder how unkind people can be at your lowest moment. Maia be strong and i know there are still good people who will stand by her.

Guest says:

God answers prayers!! I’m so very happy to hear that Maia is in treatment. I’ll pray now that she stays for the duration. For however long it takes. I’ve been reading for the past few days just how much this Woman has touched peoples hearts. I know for sure I’ve had a dull ache in my chest since viewing the video and have been thinking about trying to go and find her myself to help herbut I’m so thankful to God that she is being treated. I’m praying that she’ll be surrounded by Angels and begin the long road to a full recovery. She has a lot to live for and I hope that her life can be the best it’s ever been going forward. Keep going Maia. We love you.

Guest says:

I M SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT SHE IS GETTING HELP WITH HER ILLNESS. IM STILL SADDEN BY HOW SOME PEOPLE CAN USE ANOTHERS DOWN FALL OR ILLNESS AS A WAY TO GET THEM MONEY OR EXSPOSURE. I WISH HER THE BEST πŸ˜‰

Guest says:

My prayers go out to her I know first hand what the woman is going through and it’s rough, even though I don’t suffer from the shz, I do suffer from bipolar and other sicknesses, but I learned after the development of my second sickness I just have to trust in the Most High and well I should be in the darkest hour of my life, I’m not alone, I have family. I am grateful to say that the Most High’s grace, and mercy has carried me during this time, seeing that I thought it was a reaction from the medication that I was on for the Bipolar. May the Most High’s will be done, his grace is enough. This too with time will pass…. =-X

Guest says:

I’m so thankful to hear that Maia is in treatment. I have been praying for her since I first received that horrible video from someone.

Cheri says:

I have been praying endlessly for Maia. I was heartbroken to hear of all the negative coverage. I am elated to know that she is in recovery and I will continue to pray for her. I have 2 brothers that fell prey to substains abuse. My one brother has 25 years clean and my other brother is still stugling to overcome this deamon. With the help of her family and friends, I know she can get through this and defeat this.

Guest says:

i will keep Maia in prayer. Undeserving young lady of such misfortune. It is sad that we as society prey upon situations like this. Laugh now, cry later when it is someone closer to you. Keeping it real, we have all been there with someone in our families dealing with the demons of drugs. This battle becomes even more difficult when mental illness is a factor. Maia, find yourself, love yourself and most of all embrace God.