Celeb 2.0

Hip-Hop 2.0: Soulja Boy Is A Web 2.0 Wonder

Soulja Boy Tellem

I’ve been talking about this Soulja Boy Web phenomenon every moment I get — on my own blog, in blog comments, in face-to-face conversations. So of course it was funny today, when perusing my Google Reader for coverage of Pop!Tech and Web 2.0 Summit (mainly because I missed not actually having been there), that I ran across this bit of information on the Popular Science Blog about a Soulja Boy discussion at Web 2.0.

Apparently, Hitwise charted the Soulja Boy boom by tracking the amount of traffic streaming from social networking sites to search engines to his official Web site, and predicted back in May that the rapper (who was virtually unknown at the time) would become a major mainstream success.

And just in case you don’t know what Hitwise does, peep this:

The Hitwise online competitive intelligence service provides daily insights on how 25 million people interact with over 1 million websites in 160+ industries. Our unique, global network of Internet usage data is integrated into our user friendly service, helping you better plan, implement and report on your online branding, search marketing, content strategies and online partnerships.

Now we’re not saying this is the best of hip-hop, but we’re definitely saying, well at least I am, it’s the best example I’ve seen of an artist utilizing the power of the Web to break his career. Sure, Cassie broke on YouTube, but how many records did she sell? The truth is, all the work on YouTube, MySpace, et. al. paid off for this cat. I’m sure the fact that he created dance lesson videos didn’t hurt either. We know that a lot of these dirty south dance songs end up being one-hit wonders for a lot of artists, but this Web community built up around this artist is outrageous. You won’t see me cranking anything anytime soon, but I can respect Web gansterism when I see it.

If you’re in the music industry, please study this Soulja Boy site now. Then click over to the Soulja Boy Myspace profile page. Then peep that Soulja Boy YouTube channel.

Now read this:

Thanks largely to YouTube, “Crank That,” the song and dance, have been ubiquitous for the past three months. Since it was posted in August, the instructional clip featuring Soulja Boy doing the moves has been viewed on YouTube more than 11 million times. Video variations of the song, including manipulated Winnie the Pooh and Dora the Explorer cartoons, have also become Internet hits.

And this:

That may be true because the rapper established his song and dance on the Internet before securing a major-label deal. But “Crank That” – built on a rudimentary arrangement featuring little more than finger snaps and a bouncy keyboard riff – is hardly groundbreaking. Like the “Macarena,” the song and dance are hot for the moment.

From baltimoresun.com

They don’t have classes in school on this stuff you know. There’s no handbook. This is the closest you’re going to get to a case study right now. This is Hip-Hop 2.0.

Comments

CHRISTOPHER says:

Iam your biges FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRISTOPHER says:

I WANT TO TALK TO SOULJA BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianne says:

I really like Hip Hop. SJB is great! Just checked it out!

Cool Guy says:

Taylor tape has a new sex video just leaked!! on the web you can find it at http://www.taylortape.com

cicurug says:

absolutly Excellent!

charde says:

wow he fine

Hinno says:

very cool blog

Hinno says:

hip hop is lame

sOUlJa BoI !! Rep man !!

he got to much free time on his hands

he got to much free time on his hands

mika says:

I love you, Soulja Boy; ur the hottest rapper alive!!!!! And ur incredibly sexy and cute!!
(betcha don't hear many other canadien white girls say that!)

haha. Souja Boy is the reason why many women have affairs! or not! 🙂

Rave says:

Truly amazing. Who knows what the next few years will bring and how the progress will be used by totally unrelated industries.

One thing that obscures any study of the web's effect on “Crank That” is the fact that Mr. Collipark produced it.
Actually Collipark has already created hits using the same catchy formula, including The Whisper Song.

lol. this is funny as well as nice.. i like it souljaboy. actually its a nice way to promote.
i've already seen seo and rap mixing. thats a cool thing. and now, this.
Medical Website Design

Who can really be made at Soulja Boy? He is only a teen and he is breaking boundaries and setting precedents that even established artists haven't been able to touch. I first read about his online success on Global Grind and after checking out his movement I can see what the hype is about. The song is catchy and dance moves are the way to go.

This is going way too far, but I find it humorous! Souljah boy (is that like soldier boy?) is web 2.0? I wonder if he knows what web2.0 is in the first place. I doubt it because most 'normal' people don't.

starlingnic says:

With pleasure esteemed. It was pleasant to me. I thank.

rap and web 2.0 design.. lol

I think he is a one to two hit wonder 🙂

Honestly, Souljah boy is NOT hip hop.

Anyway, yes, he is more web 2.0 than any other artist. 🙂

lesley hill says:

helllo i love 50 cent

Christina aka Toosie says:

I think soulja boy is the most poperly singer in the days times so that mean i love you soulja boy

latricia says:

i love u souljaboy

iasha says:

i love you soulja boy

Vince Williams says:

Web marketing to promote content like that is evil.

Vince Williams says:

I guess some people don’t believe in cause and effect.

Vince Williams says:

“Where Are the Black Web Professionals?”

Soulja Boy – Pimp Slap Dat Hoe lyrics

Man what happen man?
Man I don’t know this gurl still talkin’ crazy to me man actin actin like she run me or sumthin’
What dog man you know what you need to do man
What?
Slap dat hoe man, pimp slap her ass man you get yo respect dog
Yo Feel Me Aight
Aight Aight
Do dat dog walk over there and pimp slap her
That’s what I’m talking about

I’m something like a pimp from the dirty dirty south,
If you keep talkin crazy imma slap you in yo mouth,
This nigga ain’t playin bout my cheddar or my cake, if you do something wrong then my hand gon meet yo face
My hand comin fast bout a hundred miles per hour,
Gettin hit in yo face while you bathin in the shower
I thought I told you trick better have my money off da rip, reach back like a pimp slap dat trick in da lip.

Askin me for some money to go shoppin at Chinese store, reach back like a pimp knock dat trick to da floor
If you aint heard I’m dat nigga datz gon put you out yo misery
Pimp slappin is what I do, known in the city
Trick get back yappin yappin in my ear,
Like a man here come my hand now all the talkin disappear
Slap fist in my house, you talkin crazy so you gettin hit
Slap ya in da face. Reach back I’ma a pimp trick.

Anthony says:

Who can really be made at Soulja Boy? He is only a teen and he is breaking boundaries and setting precedents that even established artists haven’t been able to touch. I first read about his online success on Global Grind and after checking out his movement I can see what the hype is about. The song is catchy and dance moves are the way to go. He has managed to catch the attention of children and adults all over the world.

Theo J. says:

Web gansterism. I like that. So many people don’t realize the potential out there. Why spend thousands of dollars on advertising when you can do it yourself.

W1ldstar says:

Mr. Collipark did digress producer-wise. When you first learn to create music, the steel drums always appeal to you. The explosion in popularity ofcourse came because of the video and dance. I read reviews on itunes that actually emphasizes the video…on ITUNES!!!! So most people are affected by the dance and the effect is widespread popularity(Even heard it on nfl clips). I’m happy for Hip hop 2.0, but saddened by the content.

More on this, that I dug up after reading the MIT Convergence Culture Consortium’s blog:

Hustling 2.0: Soulja Boy and the Crank Dat Phenomenon

And the Artist Direct article it references, The Rise Of Soulja Boy Tellem

As he explains, “People don’t really buy CDs anymore, they download music for free. So I took whatever the number one song was, say it was 50 Cent ‘In Da Club’. I’d rename ‘Crank That’ to that and send it out, and everybody would download it for free. But when they’d get it, it’d be my song. Then the Google searches and Myspace searches came through wondering who I was.” The subterfuge paid off in spades, earning him 10 million Myspace views and a deal with Atlanta hip-hop impresario Mr. Collipark, who brokered a contract with Interscope records for the release of his debut album, Souljaboytellem.com.

Excellent! Thanks for the links, Lynne.

One thing that obscures any study of the web’s effect on “Crank That” is the fact that Mr. Collipark produced it.

I disagree with the Baltimore Sun with, “built on a rudimentary arrangement featuring little more than finger snaps and a bouncy keyboard riff – is hardly groundbreaking.”